World

UK Police Raid Manchester Homes In Connection With Arena Bombing

REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Will Racke Immigration and Foreign Policy Reporter

Police have raided two residential areas in Manchester as a part of the investigation into the suicide bombing of a concert at Manchester Arena on Monday night, U.K. officials confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

Armed police searched two residential areas in south Manchester, less than a mile from the supermarket where authorities arrested earlier a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack. At one of the homes, located in the Fallowfield district, police carried out a controlled demolition of a suspicious device, reports Reuters.

A local resident described the neighborhood as “very, very quiet” with a mix of students, singles and families.

“Even if people throw rubbish outside, people complain — never mind this,” Asghar Ali said

The area is home to a large South Asian population, reports the Associated Press.

Monday’s bombing killed 22 and injured approximately 50 others as concertgoers were leaving an Ariana Grande concert. Many of the victims are believed to be young girls, with the youngest killed reportedly an 8-year-old.

“This attack stands out for it’s appalling, sickening cowardice, deliberately targeting innocent, defenseless children and young people who should have been enjoying one of the most memorable nights of their lives,” U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May said from London on Tuesday.

Authorities say they have identified the bomber, but have not yet publicly released the name. Citing U.S. intelligence officials, CBS News reported Tuesday morning that 23-year-old Salman Abedi, who was known to British authorities prior to the attack, carried out the attack. (RELATED: Report: Manchester Bomber Was Previously Known To Authorities)

Manchester police did confirm that they arrested a man in the south Manchester neighborhood of Chorlton early Tuesday morning. The suspect has not been identified, but police said the arrest was linked to the bombing.

Follow Will on Twitter

Send tips to will@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.