Man Murdered On Facebook Live After Leaving Police Station

[Screenshot/YouTube/Public - User: Watch Life]

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Eric Lieberman Managing Editor
Font Size:

A man was fatally shot Monday while live streaming on Facebook, just after he left the Wingate Police Department in North Carolina.

Using a selfie stick and some type of recording mobile device, Prentis Robinson was talking to the camera about how his phone was stolen while talking a stroll. He stopped by the local police station to discuss the alleged theft with Chief Donnie Gay, the Charlotte Observer reports.

Gay even contributed to the Facebook Live broadcast, saying, “bring his phone back so he can get on with his way today.”

Soon after departing the police department, Robinson was accosted by someone who was, for the most part, off-camera. Robinson seemed to try to notify the other person that he was filming by saying “you on live.” Eventually, during and immediately following an apparent tumble and some commotion, a vague black object can be seen and several shots heard.

Robinson’s live-streaming device ended up on the ground, still recording the trees in the distance. The video is no longer available to view on Robinson’s profile, where live streams can usually be viewed and are ultimately placed upon the completion of broadcast. His account has already been memorialized.

The suspect, who is wanted for murder, turned himself in, according to local reporter Greg Suskin of WSOC9.

“That just unreal,” Charles Baker, a friend of Robinson’s for more than 30 years, told WSOC9. “For somebody to have that kind of heart to just walk out in the open like that and kill a man, that’s just, it’s nonsense.”

Both Wingate University and Wingate Elementary were placed on lockdown during the aftermath of the homicide.

Wingate authorities reportedly warned that the suspect was armed with a long gun. (RELATED: Man Murders Infant Daughter, Kills Self On Facebook Live)

After a brief period of time, campus activities resumed as normal, aside from the fact that there was an increased police presence.(RELATED: Chicago Woman Live Streams Escape After Boyfriend, Two-Year-Old Toddler Shot To Death [VIDEO])

Robinson often worked with local law enforcement in “outing” suspected drug dealers in the area, according to Fox46. Gay reportedly said that he thought Robinson would be beat up for his work, but not shot and killed.

Follow Eric on Twitter

Send tips to

Freedom of Speech Isn’t Free
The Daily Caller News Foundation is working hard to balance out the biased American media. For as little as $3, you can help us. Make a one-time donation to support the quality, independent journalism of TheDCNF. We’re not dependent on commercial or political support and we do not accept any government funding.

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact