Saudi Arabia is reportedly preparing a statement that will acknowledge Turkish journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s potential death was the result of a botched interrogation effort that was intended to end in an abduction from Turkey, CNN reported Monday.
CNN’s report is based on interviews with two unnamed sources, one of whom said the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that the culprits will be punished. The other source says the report is still being compiled, so the conclusion could change depending on new information.
Turkish officials say The Washington Post columnist was spotted entering the Saudi consulate earlier in October but was never seen leaving. Officials suspect Saudi Arabia dispatched a team of 15 assassins to the consulate to kill, dismember and dispose of Khashoggi after he entered the Turkish embassy. (RELATED: Saudi Arabia Allows Inspection Of Consulate Where Jamal Khashoggi Is Said To Have Disappeared)
President Donald Trump said Sunday night that he is dispatching Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Riyadh to investigate the matter. He also said that King Salman of Saudi Arabia told him in a phone call that the Saudi regime denies having any knowledge about Khashoggi’s possible death.
Trump initially said there would be “severe punishment” if the Saudis were responsible. Saudi Arabia released a statement
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.