After 50-Day Manhunt, DC Cops Recapture Murder Suspect Who Fled GWU Hospital

FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images

Fiona McLoughlin Contributor
Font Size:

The D.C. Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) recaptured Christopher Haynes on Thursday, ending a 50-day manhunt after he escaped police custody in September following his arrest and a homicide offense charge.

Police announced Thursday that the U.S. Marshal’s Service Fugitive Task Force and an MPD helicopter located Haynes, 30, in Oxon Hill, Maryland, per the news release.

“He was arrested and transported to the Homicide Branch where he will be charged with the escape and the August 2023 murder of Brent Hayward,” according to the statement.

Law enforcement initially apprehended Haynes in Manassas, Virginia, on Sept. 6 in pursuit of a D.C. Superior Court arrest warrant. He was booked and processed in connection with the murder of Brent Hayward, which took place Aug. 12, 2023, according to police.

Haynes later complained of ankle pain from a “pre-existing injury while he was being processed,” per police. He was transported to the George Washington University (GWU) Hospital for treatment with two officers.

While an officer was changing out his handcuffs in order to cuff him to a gurney, Haynes physically assaulted the officer and ran away from the hospital, according to the press release. “Both officers chased after Haynes but were unable to catch him,” authorities said. (RELATED: Authorities Capture One Of Massachusetts’ ‘Most Wanted’ Fugitives In Guatemala, Ending Decades-Long Search)

“I’d like to thank our partners at U.S. Marshal Service as well as our many, many community members that stepped up, that called us [and] provided information that led to Haynes’ arrest,” MPD Assistant Chief Leslie Parsons said at a press conference Thursday afternoon.

“Any escape is troubling because we arrest them for a reason,” said Robert Dixon, U.S. Marshal for the United States Marshals Service for the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.

The police, U.S. marshals and FBI were offering a $25,000 reward for information during the investigation, ABC7 reported. The FBI’s Washington field also offered a $10,000 reward for information on Twitter.

Haynes was previously arrested in 2020 for attempting to drive into three police officers on bicycles in Prince William County, according to DC News Now.