By Jan Morgan, Jan Morgan Media
Ratifying the UN Arms Treaty is worse that allowing the fox to guard the hens. It is like unloading a pack of hungry wolves on a herd of fenced in sheep. The outcome is predictable… or at least that’s what some in the U.N. might think, however these sheep are in America, which just might put a kink in their plan.
Passage of the U.N. Arms Treaty by a bunch of nations that are hostile to the liberties enjoyed by Americans, is not a surprise. What is most repulsive, however, is the fact that the President of the United States would even consider giving this Treaty a second glance.
White House press secretary Jay Carney said Tuesday that the White House was pleased with Tuesday’s overwhelming vote by the U.N. General Assembly to pass the treaty, but “as is the case with all treaties of this nature, we will follow normal procedures to conduct a thorough review of the treaty text to determine whether to sign the treaty.”
I ask, what is there to review?
The U.N. claims that the purpose of this Treaty is to “combat illegal arms trafficking around the world.” That notion is as ridiculous as the idea that more gun control laws reduce crimes. What the U.N. and all gun grabbers either do not comprehend or refuse to acknowledge is the fact that statistics have proven that gun control DOES NOT WORK. In fact, cities with the most strict gun control laws in this country continue to have the highest gun related crime rates and areas of the country with the least restrictive gun laws have the lowest crime rates. This is because CRIMINALS DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE OR ABIDE BY THE LAW. It is almost laughable that the U.N. expects the world to believe that the piece of paper this Treaty is written on is going to curtail or combat illegal arms trafficking and related crimes.
So…. lets examine from the perspective of the United States what we have to gain from this Treaty if ratified versus what we have to lose.
Losses… (How much time do you have? This could take awhile.)
Here is the short version of Losses right off the top:
* the U.N. “cannot be trusted” with the United States’ Bill of Rights
* The Treaty includes “foreign governments that have shown hostility to the kinds of constitutional liberties guaranteed to Americans.
* All Americans are harmed when unaccountable international bodies like the UN are empowered to interfere with our protected freedoms.
* the treaty could draw law-abiding gun owners and gun operators “into a complex web of bureaucratic red tape created by a new department at the UN devoted to overseeing the treaty.
* Texas Attorney General, Greg Abbott says the draft treaty is not written using the precise, unambiguous language required of a good legal document. Instead, Abbott says the treaty employs “sweeping rhetoric and imprecise terminology that could be used by those who seek to undermine our liberties to impose any number of restrictions on the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms.”
Abbott has written a letter to President Obama threatening to take on the federal government in court if Obama signs this Treaty and the Senate ratifies it. Abbot’s letter made the following promise: “If the UN Arms Trade Treaty is not stopped at the federal level, I and my fellow state attorneys general will take up the fight to preserve the Constitution. Ratification of this treaty would compel immediate legal action to enforce the Constitution’s guarantee that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
The Senate recently approved a nonbonding amendment opposing the Treaty. I hope they will continue to stand by that position.
In the meantime, there is one minor technicality I thing the President and his dictator buddies in the U.N. have overlooked that could stop this ravenous attack on our Bill of Rights before it even gets started….LIBERTY versus Democracy.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.
While America may be full of defenseless, clueless, liberal sheep, there are approximately 90 million armed sheep with over 300 million guns, prepared to contest the vote… Those sheep are surrounded by sheepdogs that do not know fear, are fiercely protective of the flock, and willing to die to defend it.
Thanks to Jan Morgan of Jan Morgan Media for this article. Take the time to visit Jan’s website by clicking here.