Politics

Kasich Tells CBS ‘Zero Chance’ He’s Trump’s Vice President

REUTERS/Aaron Josefczyk

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Toni Ann Booras Contributor

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Tuesday there is “zero chance” he would agree to be Republican frontrunner Donald Trump’s vice president.

“Zero chance,” Kasich said in an interview with “CBS This Morning,” when asked if he would consider running with Trump if it would be the best chance for the Republicans to win the White House. “Zero chance,” he repeated.

Trump suggested Monday that he was considering Kasich among others as a possible running mate, as well as for cabinet positions. The New York businessman said he was also looking at Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who dropped out of the GOP presidential race after losing his state’s primary in March.

“Look, I am running for president of the United States, and that’s it,” Kasich said in the interview.

He trails Trump by 600 delegates, but said he feels “zero” pressure to drop out of the race, and said he’s not getting more media attention or a larger share of the vote, because he’s running a positive campaign.

“I have not taken the low road to the highest office,” he said. “And you know, as a result of that, I didn’t get attention for six months. Even after I finished second in New Hampshire, we didn’t get the bump. You know why? No name calling,”

Trump has more than 700 of the 1,237 he needs to win the nomination and Cruz has more than 500, according to the latest numbers from Real Clear Politics. Kasich has just 143, after winning one primary so far in Ohio.

Kasich is set to deliver a speech in New York Tuesday, where he will say Trump and Cruz are articulating a path of darkness.

“Do we look at people’s fears and concerns and drive them into the ditch?” Kasich told reporters Monday to preview the speech, according to The New York Times. “Or do we acknowledge the fact that people do have concerns and problems, and can we give them a path to solving our problems like Americans always have?”

Follow Toni Ann on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.