Judge Throws Out Ferguson Rioters’ ‘Excessive Force’ Lawsuit
A federal judge dismissed Ferguson, Mo., rioters’ $40 million civil rights that claimed police used excessive force against them Monday.
U.S. District Judge Henry Autrey ruled in favor of the Missouri law enforcement, reports WWMT.
The nine plaintiffs, “have completely failed to present any credible evidence that any of the actions taken by these individuals were taken with malice or were committed in bad faith,” Autrey wrote in his ruling.
Protesters gathered after the police shooting of Michael Brown to demonstrate. Prosecutors and the Department of Justice investigation found that Brown tried to grab police officer Darren Wilson’s gun. Wilson shot Brown after he tried to charge him. (RELATED: Michael Brown’s Family To File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Ferguson)
The protests grew violent, with people looting stores and setting businesses on fire.
The plaintiffs claimed in the lawsuit that Ferguson police beat them, used tear gas, shot them with rubber bullets and arrested them illegally.
Autrey dismissed those allegations, saying protesters had been given ample warnings to leave, but chose to ignore them. Autrey also gave the officers involved in the lawsuit immunity from it.
A lawyer for the protesters, Gregory Lattimer, expressed disappointment with the judge’s ruling. “The decision was unfair and not consistent with applicable law,” Lattimer told NBC News.
The protesters have already filed a notice that they intend to appeal the ruling in the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
“This is a battle we will keep fighting. We will end it in the right way and get justice for these people,” Lattimer said.
Send tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact email@example.com.