Former Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price expressed regret that his use of a private jet on taxpayer dime created such outrage in a resignation letter Friday.
Price said he was resigning because he didn’t want to cause the Trump administration “further disruption. News reports this week revealed that Price had been taking private planes paid for by taxpayers to Europe and Africa, as well as domestically. The total cost to taxpayers reached $1 million, Politico reported earlier this week.
“I have spent forty years both as a doctor and public servant putting people first. I regret that the recent events have created a distraction from these important objectives,” Price wrote. “Success on these issues is more important than any one person. In order for you to move forward without further disruption, I am officially tendering my resignation as the Secretary of Health and Human Services effective 11:59 PM on Friday, September 29,2017.”
Price added that he would continue to support President Donald Trump’s agenda, as the president’s policies are crucial for America.
“You may rest assured that I will continue to support your critical priorities going ahead because failure is not an option for the American people,” Price said.
Trump had expressed displeasure with the use of private jets, saying he wasn’t happy about how it looked to the public.
“I was looking into it and I will look into it. I will tell you personally, I’m not happy about it. I am not happy about it, and I’m going to look at it. I let him know it,” Trump said previously.
Send tips to email@example.com.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.