MSNBC host Joe Scarborough called on Republican Florida Gov. Rick Scott to “resign at once” for saying the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) step down.
Scarborough tried turning the tables on Scott after reading off part of a statement from the Florida governor calling on FBI Director Christopher Wray.
“The response from Florida Governor Rick Scott was this — ‘The families will spend a lifetime wondering how this could happen and an apology will never give them answers they desperately need.’ He ended the statement saying the FBI director needs to resign,” Scarborough said Monday on “Morning Joe.” “How interesting that one of the president’s lackies, a guy who has embarrassed himself repeatedly, defending the indefensible for the president, uses a school shooting in his state to try to get rid of one of the president’s — well, somebody that the president appointed — but one of the people who had been a target of the president over the past several weeks.”
Scarborough ran interference for the FBI and tried to blame Scott for the massacre, saying Florida’s social service agency failed to act.
“It’s also just not smart for Rick Scott to do that because when he did it, I knew this story would be coming up. The FBI wasn’t the only agency that allowed Cruz to slip through the cracks,” Scarborough said. “According to The New York Times, Rick Scott’s own Florida social services agency made a visit to Cruz’s home, after being alerted of disturbing social media posts. Citing a state report The Times says that he was questioned and then Rick Scott’s agency determined that he was at low risk of harming himself or others.”
“So if Rick Scott is going to apply that cynical standard to all public officials, then I guess Rick Scott needs to resign at once,” Scarborough concluded.
In a statement obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation, Gov. Scott’s communications office called it “absurd” to compare the state’s investigation of Nikolas Cruz to the FBI’s inquiry and blamed the federal government for failing stop the massacre.
It is absurd and irresponsible to compare DCF’s investigation, completed nearly 18 months ago in response to allegations of caregiver abuse and neglect, with the FBI’s failure to do anything after receiving a tip last month that this individual would carry-out a school shooting.” – McKinley Lewis, Deputy Communications Director
The Daily Caller News Foundation is working hard to balance out the biased American media. For as little as $3, you can help us. Make a one-time donation to support the quality, independent journalism of TheDCNF. We’re not dependent on commercial or political support and we do not accept any government funding.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact email@example.com.