The Cannes Film Festival is so concerned about sexual harassment that it started an emergency hotline, according to a press conference Friday.
The Cannes Film Festival in southern France is launching an emergency hotline following the wave of sexual misconduct scandals in Hollywood, according to Glamour magazine. The French government is creating the emergency hotline following several actresses accusing movie mogul Harvey Weinstein of sexual assault or harassment at the film festival in previous years.
“We’ve gone into partnership with the Cannes Film Festival to tackle sexual harassment and set up a helpline,” France’s minister of gender equality, Marlène Schiappa, said at the conference in Paris. “One of the rapes that Harvey Weinstein is accused of happened at Cannes, and so the festival cannot fail to act.”
Thierry Fremaux, Cannes Film Festival’s artistic director, previously echoed Schiappa’s remarks. “The world is not the same since the Weinstein case; it has woken up. And it’s fortunate,” Fremaux told Variety magazine.
Weinstein is accused of sexually assaulting and harassing at least 85 women, according to the Los Angeles Times. Cannes Film Festival denounced his behavior in a statement to Deadline in October 2017.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.