People Are Burning Their Insides With This Liquid Nitrogen-Infused Cereal Snack The FDA Hates

YouTube screenshot/Bratayley

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Evie Fordham Politics and Health Care Reporter
Font Size:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an alert Thursday about a popular liquid nitrogen-infused snack commonly called “Dragon’s Breath” that is burning people’s insides and hands.

“The FDA has become aware of severe — and in some cases, life-threatening — injuries, such as damage to skin and internal organs caused by liquid nitrogen still present in the food or drink,” the FDA said in a statement Thursday.

The snack, which is known by other names including “heaven’s breath” and “nitro puff,” is made and sold by various vendors in locations like fairs and food courts.

Dragon’s Breath popped up on social media as people have posted videos of themselves enjoying the cold puff cereal snack that sends plumes of “smoke” out of the eater’s mouth. But examples of mishaps with the super low-temperature snacks abound.

Racheal Richard McKenny of Florida warned other moms about dragon’s breath on Facebook July 25 after she said it gave her son an asthma attack. McKenny bought her son Johnny a serving of dragon’s breath at a mall in Jacksonville, Florida, reported The Kansas City Star.

Johnny could not stop coughing during the drive home, McKenny wrote. When he started to have difficulty breathing, McKenny realized she did not have her son’s inhaler, and they were nowhere near a hospital. McKenny stopped at a fire station for assistance from EMTs who gave Johnny albuterol, an IV and a shot of epinephrine, reported The KC Star.

“PLEASE, if you know someone that has even just a mild case of asthma, do NOT let them have this snack,” McKenny wrote. “I should have known better, but it did not occur to me that this food could have this effect.”

Also in Florida, a 14-year-old girl reportedly nearly lost her thumb after eating Dragon’s Breath at the Pensacola Interstate Fair. Liquid nitrogen residue in the cup might have burned her finger. (RELATED: Doctors Concerned About Moms Using Pot After Study Claims Its Active Ingredient Shows Up In Breast Milk)

“The ER doctor had to cut [her thumb] open, cut away the dead skin and get the infection out,” said the girl’s grandmother, Tina McArthur, according to WEARTV. “They said had we not come in and got her finger treated she could have possibly lost her thumb.”

Follow Evie on Twitter @eviefordham.

Send tips to

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact