Joe Biden insulted the unvaccinated, Greg Gutfeld promised to send “I don’t care” packages to the fugitive Texas Democrats and one perfect Olympic moment put the world in perspective.
The 24-hour news cycle — coupled with thousands of media outlets and a gradual return from pandemic boredom to a somewhat normal life — makes it all but impossible for anyone to truly stay abreast of all the news.
To save our readers the time and aggravation, the Daily Caller has compiled some of the most ridiculous moments from the last week and brought them together in one convenient dispatch.
So here it is, the week that was:
- Fox News host Greg Gutfeld mocked the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team after their 3-0 Olympic loss to Sweden, calling them “self-important media creations,” and saying they’d won the gold medal “in pretentious sanctimony.”
- White House press secretary Jen Psaki didn’t understand why reporters would need to know how many breakthrough COVID-19 infections had occurred within President Joe Biden’s administration. The reporter’s reason: “Transparency.”
A reporter challenges @PressSec on not releasing the number of breakthrough covid cases among WH staffers:
REPORTER: “Why not just provide the number are you trying to hide something?”@PressSec: “Why do you need to have that information?”
REPORTER: “Transparency…” pic.twitter.com/POVmqkzEFr
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) July 23, 2021
- Comedian Chelsea Handler argued that when it came to the idea of cancel culture, white men should just shut up and take it. “And the people that aren’t apologizing need to understand why they need to apologize, and actually address the issue head-on instead of trying to get back in under the door,” she added. “All you have to do is say you’re sorry and mean it. Why’s that so f**king hard?”
Today’s the day: @callherdaddy is now officially, exclusively, on Spotify. 💋 Join host @alexandracooper and the first guest of the new era @chelseahandler for blatant honesty (and maybe a few laughs). https://t.co/Q0tHKjCfIG pic.twitter.com/3vwcxjQHz8
— Spotify News (@SpotifyNews) July 21, 2021
- Spectrum News reporter Brianna Hamblin handled it like a pro when a bystander hit on her, using crude and racially-charged language. “That’s why I can’t be left alone with a black woman, or a mulatto chick. Because I can’t stand these f**king white girls,” he said, prompting her to reply, “We are done here.”
WARNING: CRUDE LANGUAGE
Being hit on and harassed as a woman, especially as a woman reporter out in the field, happens so often you learn how to roll with it or ignore it. This time it happened to be recorded only seconds before my hit. There are A LOT of things wrong with this. pic.twitter.com/5Ok58Vm7e0
— Brianna Hamblin (@BriReports) July 23, 2021
- Gutfeld argued that it would be difficult “to find a larger a**” than CNN’s Jim Acosta. He also noted that others at CNN had ignored violent crime out of political convenience. “There were people dying, and they were laughing about it. Those two clowns [Chris] Cuomo and [Don] Lemon were actually — they were mocking people concerned. They were laughing about it,” he said.
- Fox News host and Daily Caller co-founder Tucker Carlson told a heckler to “settle down, son,” after the man confronted him at a fly-fishing store in Montana. The man accused Carlson of being the “worst human” because he had raised questions about the coronavirus vaccines.
Tucker Carlson tells a man who confronts him in a fly fishing shop to “settle down, son.”
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) July 24, 2021
- Fox News host Dana Perino mocked the still-fugitive Texas Democrats over their care package requests for items like Dr. Pepper and hairspray. “Do not send them one thing,” she said, as “The Five” co-host Gutfeld suggested that people should send “I Don’t Care” packages.
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy accused House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of breaking Congress after she rejected his choices — Republican Reps. Jim Jordan of Ohio and Jim Banks of Indiana — for the Jan. 6 commission and replaced them with her own.
- Biden called NBC News White House correspondent Kelly O’Donnell a “pain in the neck” after she asked a question.
NEW:The president called me a “pain in the neck” (with a smile) as I pressed him on a NEW mandate for doctors at @DeptVetAffairs hospitals to get the COVID vaccine. He did not respond when I pressed if there would be further federal required vaccines. pic.twitter.com/PAnOv7aXPK
— Kelly O’Donnell (@KellyO) July 26, 2021
- Republican Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger and Democratic California Rep. Adam Schiff cried through their opening questions on day one of the Capitol riot hearings, prompting Schiff to quip, “It must be an Adam thing.”
- Fox News White House correspondent Peter Doocy challenged Psaki on new mask guidelines, arguing that if vaccines work, there should be no need for continued masking.
DOOCY: “If vaccines work — then why do people who have the vaccine now need to wear masks?”@PressSec: “Because the public health leaders in our administration have made the determination — that is a way to make sure they are protected, their loved ones are protected…” pic.twitter.com/Io6uQoivWH
— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) July 27, 2021
- White House chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci claimed that the CDC had not flip-flopped on masks — despite the announcement reversing guidelines for vaccinated people and telling them that they should return to wearing masks.
Fauci on the CDC’s mask flip-flop: “The CDC hasn’t really flip-flopped at all.” pic.twitter.com/ZNvrCesra5
— Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) July 28, 2021
- Biden appeared to insult unvaccinated Americans as he mulled over the possibility of mandating the coronavirus vaccine for federal employees. “If you’re not vaccinated, you’re not nearly as smart as I thought you were,” he said.
- Fox News’ Geraldo Rivera admitted that he “thought less” of those who weren’t vaccinated and accused them of arrogant and selfish behavior. “If you come into my grandchildren’s house and you’re not vaccinated, I’m going to kick you in the ass,” he added.
The feel good movie of the week came out of Tokyo’s Olympic Games, showing the moment that American swimmer Caeleb Dressel won gold, setting a new Olympic record (47.02) in the men’s 100m freestyle. The split screen shows Dressel’s nail-biter of a race — which he won by mere hundredths of a second — at the top, and his wife’s and parents’ reaction to his win below.
USA swimmer Caeleb Dressel takes gold in the men’s 100m freestyle…to the delight of his wife and parents pic.twitter.com/4FYwmw4IVX
— Morning Brew ☕️ (@MorningBrew) July 29, 2021
Check back next week for a comprehensive look at who said what and about whom.