Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp All Go Down At Once

Photo by CHRIS DELMAS/AFP via Getty Images

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Ailan Evans Associate Editor
Font Size:

Platforms owned by Facebook all experienced outages at the same time late Monday morning, and could not be accessed.

Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp all went down Monday morning, according to outage tracking site Downdetector. Facebook was first reported down around 11:15 a.m., with reports peaking around 12 p.m. with over 100,000 reported outages, according to the site.

When users attempted to access Instagram, a message reading “5xx Server Error” appeared. A message reading “Sorry, something went wrong” appeared when users tried to access Facebook.

The sites were able to be accessed again around 5:45 p.m. Facebook spokesman Andy Stone announced on Twitter around 6:30 p.m. that Facebook’s platforms and apps were beginning to come back online, and apologized for the inconvenience.

While Facebook has not yet confirmed the reason for the outages, the company’s Domain Name System (DNS) records, which allow browsers to access the company’s sites, were reportedly withdrawn from the internet, according to The Verge.

Each platform posted messages acknowledging they had received reports of outages, and said they were working to fix the problem. Facebook’s internal tools and communications platforms were down as well, and employees were unable to enter certain buildings due to their electronic badges not working, according to The New York Times.

Facebook did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment. (RELATED: Facebook Suspends ‘Instagram Kids’ Following Investigation Into Platform’s Effect On Teens)

“We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products,” company spokesman Andy Stone wrote on Twitter Monday around 12 p.m. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.”

Facebook dispatched a team to one of its data centers in Santa Clara, California, to attempt to manually reset affected hardware, according to The New York Times. Mike Schroepfer, Facebook’s Chief Technology Officer, tweeted Monday afternoon that the company was experiencing “networking issues” and was working to “debug and restore” affected systems.

Facebook has been the subject of controversy over the past few weeks following an investigation by The Wall Street Journal into documents leaked by a whistleblower showing the company’s inner workings.

Editor’s note: This is a developing story and will be updated.

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact