WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department is checking into reports at least three Americans were killed in Haiti’s earthquake.
State Department Spokesman P.J. Crowley said Wednesday that officials were still trying to confirm the reports. He added that only 100 of the estimated 45,000 Americans living in Haiti had been able to communicate with U.S. officials and verify they were safe and sound.
The U.N. says 14 of its personnel were killed when an earthquake decimated Haiti’s capital and 150 are still unaccounted for, including the mission chief.