Entertainment

Katie Couric expected to announce CBS departure this week

Laura Donovan Contributor

CBS News anchor Katie Couric is expected to confirm later this week that she’s ending her five-year run with “CBS Evening News”, reports the New York Times.

For the past few months, news and media outlets have speculated whether the end of Couric’s CBS contract would inspire her to take a job elsewhere or remain at the network. TheWrap reported Monday that Couric won’t announce a departure from CBS, because she might continue to work with its news division or on a syndicated program.

Couric will announce her successor after she returns from London for royal wedding coverage.

Earlier this month, TheWrap reported that NBC, ABC and CNN have all tried to court the “CBS Evening News” host, so Couric might have her pick when it comes to network offers.

Couric’s contract with CBS expires on June 4, and the network is said to want a month-long transition period. “60 Minutes” correspondent Scott Pelley is expected to take over for Couric, according to the Times.

In an April interview with New York magazine, Couric said it wouldn’t kill her to see someone succeeding her “CBS Evening News” role.

“No, it wouldn’t kill me,” Couric said. “But you can’t necessarily read anything into that. I think I might have felt that way five years before I left the ‘Today’ show.

Addressing rumors that she’s spoken with NBC Universal executive Jeff Zucker, Couric said, “We talk a lot and, yes, we’ve been discussing the possibilities. That’s true.”