DC Metro Actually Giving Riders Refunds For Poor Service


Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Font Size:

People in Washington, D.C., complain constantly about the long wait times and inconsistent service from the city’s transit agency. Many even ask for refunds.

This time, though, their wishes have been granted.

Jack Requa, the interim CEO of Metro, announced Friday that riders who used their SmarTrip cards to ride the train this morning will receive a credit for the money they were charged.

Friday morning, a power outage caused massive problems on the Blue, Orange and Silver Lines and passengers needed to be evacuated from a Silver Line train that was stranded between two Virginia Metro stations.

“We absolutely understand the frustration among our Blue, Orange and Silver line customers,” Requa said in a statement. “Given the significant service disruptions that inconvenienced riders over multiple commutes this week, we are taking this step to thank everyone for bearing with us.”

The same three train lines were halted Thursday morning during rush hour after a train derailed just outside of the Smithsonian Station. The derailment led to massive delays and forced passengers to ride buses to avoid the station.

The agency was forced to shut down two train stations, disrupting all three lines.

No one was hurt during the derailment, as the train was empty, though it left thousands of commuters stranded on their way to work and struggling to find alternate modes of transportation.

The stations didn’t open back up again until Thursday night around 8 p.m.

In Requia’s statement he pointed out that he commutes regularly on the Orange Line, but, luckily for him, he was not on the train Thursday or Friday when it experienced massive delays.

This latest disruption is just the most recent in a string of accidents for the beleaguered transit agency, the second largest rail system in America, so far this year.

In May, an electrical issue caused a Metro train tunnel to fill with smoke, forcing a service suspension that lasted for hours along the same stretch of rail as the incident Thursday.

The organization is also under federal investigation for a different smoke incident from January that left one woman dead.

Follow Josh on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact