Media Rights Capital and Netflix told Variety that they have decided to suspend production on ‘House of Cards’ season six “until further notice,” following a pedophilia accusation against Kevin Spacey.
“MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on ‘House of Cards’ season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” a statement from the company read Tuesday. RELATED: ‘The View’ Blasts Kevin Spacey For Tying Homosexuality To Pedophilia)
On Monday, the outlet learned that the streaming site had decided to pull the plug on the series after season six. The decision came the day after “Star Trek” actor Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed News that the 58-year-old “House of Cards” star made a sexual advance towards him when he was 14 years old at a party in 1986.
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,” the joint statement read. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
On Monday, Spacey responded to the accusation and said while he didn’t recall the encounter, if he acted the way Rapp said he owes him the “sincerest apology.” He then came out as a “gay man.”
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017
The timing of his decision enraged many in Hollywood, as celebrities suggested he did it as a distraction.