Freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy joined ice skater Adam Rippon in coming out as gay with a joint picture during the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic opening ceremonies.
Kenworthy, 26, took a picture kissing 28-year-old Rippon on the cheek with the caption, “We’re here. We’re queer. Get used to it” in their matching Team USA attire, reported the Daily Mail. They are the two first openly gay athletes to compete in the winter Olympic games.
— Gus Kenworthy (@guskenworthy) February 9, 2018
“Representing the USA is one of the greatest honors of my life and being able to do it as my authentic self makes it all so much sweeter,” Rippon tweeted.
Tonight I walked in the #OpeningCeremony and got to watch my old friend @Yunaaaa light the Olympic flame. Representing the USA is one of the greatest honors of my life and being able to do it as my authentic self makes it all so much sweeter pic.twitter.com/ZypvWkUBjD
— Adam Rippon (@Adaripp) February 9, 2018
Both athletes have also voiced their opposition to Vice President Mike Pence, who is leading a delegation for the Olympic games.
“I’m so proud to be representing the LGBTQ community alongside this amazing guy! Eat your heart out, Pence,” Kenworthy wrote on Instagram.
He previously told Ellen Degeneres that he does not want to meet Pence since the Olympics should be about inclusion, according to the Huffington Post.
During his 2000 Indiana governor run, Pence said that “resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior,” which caused backlash from the LGBTQ community. Pence later said that his comments were aimed at encouraging safe sex for LGBTQ couples, not gay conversion therapy, according to The Guardian.
Send tips to email@example.com.
The Daily Caller News Foundation is working hard to balance out the biased American media. For as little as $3, you can help us. Make a one-time donation to support the quality, independent journalism of TheDCNF. We’re not dependent on commercial or political support and we do not accept any government funding.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.