US

First Trans Recruit Signs Up After Courts Rule Against Trump Ban

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Amber Randall Civil Rights Reporter

The first transgender recruit signed up for a post in the military Friday, just months after courts ruled against the president’s ban against transgender military members.

The Pentagon said that the recruit signed a contract with the military Friday, but would not give any more information as to what branch they will enter, the Hill first reported and later confirmed by The Daily Caller News Foundation.

The spokesperson also said the individual also met all medical, physical and mental requirements.

President Donald Trump previously called for a ban on transgender people serving in the military, saying that the military could not be “burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption” transgender individuals would cause the military.

A series of lawsuits were filed against the administration because of the order and a number of federal courts ruled against the military ban. The Department of Justice later took back any legal challenges it had issued against the courts’ rulings, which allowed the Pentagon to being recruiting transgender military members.

Follow Amber on Twitter

Send tips to amber@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Freedom of Speech Isn’t Free
The Daily Caller News Foundation is working hard to balance out the biased American media. For as little as $3, you can help us. Make a one-time donation to support the quality, independent journalism of TheDCNF. We’re not dependent on commercial or political support and we do not accept any government funding.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.