After a prosecutor’s error forced New Mexico Judge Emilio Chavez to dismiss charges against three of the five “extremist Muslim” suspects earlier this week, FBI officials on Friday confirmed that all five have been re-arrested on a whole set of new charges.
The five suspects have been charged with violating federal firearms and conspiracy laws, Fox News reported.
“The defendants, Jany Leveille, 35, a Haitian national illegally present in the United States, Siraj Ibn Wahhaj, 40, Hujrah Wahhaj, 37, Subhanah Wahhaj, 35, and Lucas Morton, 40, are charged in a criminal complaint that was filed earlier today in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico,” said the FBI in a statement, according to Fox News.
Three of the five suspects – Lucas Morton, Subhannah Wahhaj and Hujrah Wahhaj – were released on Wednesday after Judge Chavez dismissed child abuse charges based on prosecutors’ violation of the “10-day-rule,” a timeframe during which an evidentiary hearing to establish probable cause must be held.
“For whatever reason, the state did not obtain a preliminary hearing date within 10 days,” Morton public defender Aleksandar Kostich said, according to the Washington Post. “It’s absolutely bizarre.”
Earlier this month Sheriff’s deputies found 11 malnourished children at the compound as well as a three-year-old child’s remains. (RELATED: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE ‘MUSLIM EXTREMIST’ COMPOUND IN NEW MEXICO)
Among the allegations against the suspects, prosecutors say that Siraj Ibn Wahhaj was training children to commit school shootings. (RELATED: JUDGE IN NEW MEXICO COMPOUND CASE ACCUSES PROSECUTORS OF ANTI-MUSLIM DISCRIMINATION)