Sports

Wisconsin Football Coach Paul Chryst Discusses Spring Practice Beginning

(Photo by Dylan Buell/Getty Images)

David Hookstead Smoke Room Editor-in-Chief

Wisconsin football coach Paul Chryst is ready to begin spring practice and get better.

My Badgers will take the field to start spring ball Tuesday, and I’m ready to get the action started. Our leader is ready to take us to the next level, and use these practices over the next few weeks to get better. (RELATED: Wisconsin Football Coach Paul Chryst Gets Extension)

“There’s four phases to get ready for the season. Just finished up our winter conditioning and thought we did a lot of good things there. Then spring ball is the second part of it. Then you’ve got summer and fall camp. It’s important to keep in mind for them that this is an opportunity — a great opportunity — to get better,” Chryst told the media Monday, according to Saturday Tradition.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Wisconsin Football (@badgerfootball) on

That’s right. This is all an opportunity to get better and get more reps. That’s what America is about. Taking the field, lacing up the cleats and out working your opponents.

Obviously, Madison is buzzing about Graham Mertz. The freshman phenom quarterback has entered the picture with more hype than any freshman in the history of the program. (RELATED: Hype Continues To Grow That Quarterback Graham MertzCould Start For Wisconsin)

Chryst also added that all the scholarship quarterbacks would get reps, but didn’t say how they’d be “divided.”

Let me go ahead and solve the division of reps issue for Chyrst right now. Give 90 percent of them to the future of the program, Mertz, and Coan can take the other 10 percent to stay fresh if we need him to go in.

This isn’t difficult, Chryst.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Graham Mertz (@graham_mertz5) on

Tomorrow is going to be a great day, and I can’t wait for spring ball to get started. It’s time to put the mistakes of this past season behind us and move forward.

The first step towards a title begins tomorrow. I’m proud to take it with each and every one of you.

Follow David Hookstead on Twitter