Boxing Legend Mike Tyson Says He ‘Died’ While Getting High On A Mexican Toad’s Venom

Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

Kevin Harness Contributor
Font Size:

Famous former boxing champion Mike Tyson claims he “died” while getting high on the toxins of a Mexican toad.

Tyson claimed that he “died” 4 years ago when he tried the toxins secreted from Bufo alvarius, more commonly known as the Sonoran Desert Toad, The New York Post reported. (RELATED: Mike Tyson Admits He Smokes A Ridiculous Amount Of Weed Each Month. The Cost Will Shock You)

“I ‘died’ during my first trip,” Tyson told the New York Post while at Wonderland. “In my trips I’ve seen that death is beautiful. Life and death both have to be beautiful, but death has a bad rep. The toad has taught me that I’m not going to be here forever. There’s an expiration date.”

The Sonoran Desert Toad is a species of toad native to Mexico which lies dormant underground for 7 months of the year. When active, the toad produces a toxin with psychedelic properties. It was originally used as a remedy for healing rituals but the toad’s secretions are getting some notoriety as well on the drug scene, according to the New York Post.

Before discovering the toad, Tyson was 100 pounds overweight, and heavily under the influence of drugs and alcohol until one of his friends suggested trying the toad, according to the outlet.

“I was doing heavy drugs like cocaine, so why not? It’s another dimension. Before I did the toad, I was a wreck. The toughest opponent I ever faced was myself. I had low self-esteem. People with big egos often have low self-esteem. We use our ego to subsidize that. The toad strips the ego,” Tyson said, according to the New York Post.

After trying the toad, Tyson got back into shape, started boxing again, and reconnected with his family. He is now advocating for making psychedelics over-the-counter all over the country, according to the outlet.