First reported death linked to marijuana in Colorado since legalization

Font Size:

In the first reported death linked to marijuana in Colorado since it was legalized, the Denver medical examiner’s office Wednesday said an exchange student fell to his death after eating a pot cookie.

Levy Thamba, an exchange student from the Republic of Congo, died while visiting Denver after falling from the balcony of a hotel in March, according to the Denver Post.

The autopsy report, the Denver’s Fox 13 revealed, ruled the death an accident, saying Thamba’s death was due to “multiple injuries due to fall from height,” “fall from balcony after consuming marijuana cookie” and “marijuana intoxication.”

According to the report, 7.2 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood in his system, the legal limit to drive in the state is five nanograms per milliliter.

Thamba had been studying at Northwest College in Powell, Wyoming. In a statement issued after his death in March, that school said the community was “saddened by this loss.”

Colorado began allowing for legal sales of recreational marijuana this year.

Follow Caroline on Twitter