Bomb Cyclone Leaves Seven Dead, 1.2 Million Without Power

Michael Bastasch | Energy Editor

The “bomb cyclone” slamming the northeastern U.S. has left more than 1.2 million people without power and, so far, been blamed for at least seven deaths.

Federal and state officials have warned residents to stay indoors and wait out the storm. It will likely take crews several days to restore power to many areas hit by the storm, the biggest since January’s “bomb cyclone.”

Millions more from Cape Cod to Long Island are still under a coastal flooding warning as big waves crashed against the Atlantic coast, causing beach erosion and property damage. The National Weather Service predicts several more days of rain and snow before another storm hits on Wednesday.

ABC 7 New York showed footage of high tide flooding in Long Island’s South Shore. Quincy, a city just south of Boston, saw rough surf and high-tide flooding as well, according to WCVB.

NOW WATCH:

Weather Channel meteorologist Greg Diamond said hurricane force winds knocked down trees, damaging cars and homes. All seven people reported dead during the storm were killed by falling trees, ABC News reported.

Weather.us meteorologist Ryan Maue noted that areas west of Albany, New York got more than 3.5 feet of snow in the last three days.

Meteorologist Greg Postrel said we can expect 40-foot waves to continue through the night, bringing more threatening surf to beach towns.

Follow Michael on Facebook and Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Tags : cape cod energy new york ryan maue
Loading comments...
© Copyright 2010 - 2018 | The Daily Caller