“Football” player David Beckham has been banned from driving in England for six months.
Beckham, 44, pleaded guilty to using his phone while driving in London last November, according to a report published Thursday by the BBC. The soccer star was allegedly photographed using his phone while driving in slow-moving traffic.
David Beckham arrives at Bromley Magistrates Court where he may be given penalty points on his licence after previously pleading guilty for using a mobile phone while driving his Bentley. pic.twitter.com/e13K6M3qPb
— Channel 5 News (@5_News) May 9, 2019
The judge said despite the slow-moving traffic, there is “no excuse” for using a phone under the current law. Beckham’s lawyer, Gerrard Tyrrell, claims the athlete has no recollection of the event in question.
“There is no excuse for what took place but his view is that he cannot remember,” Tyrrell said. (RELATED: David Beckham Explains How We Should Treat Women)
“He takes his children to school each day when he can and he picks them up when he can, and actually to deprive them of that is something that he will acknowledge,” Tyrrell added.
I’m all for punishing people who text and drive, but being banned for six months for using your phone in traffic seems a little over the top.
In the U.K., it’s illegal to hold a phone while driving. You can get six penalty points on your license and pay up to £200 BBC reported. This particular event doesn’t seem serious enough to take to court and then ban him for six months.
Did Beckham just get this punishment because he’s a celebrity?