Davey Jones Fireworks in Fort Mill, South Carolina, was the site of an accidental fireworks display Thursday after an explosion sparked a fire and set off hundreds of fireworks.
MASSIVE FIREWORKS FIRE: Fireworks were seen popping off within the flames as a huge fire broke out Thursday morning outside Davy Jones Fireworks in Fort Mill. (Video: @Msteck101) https://t.co/0Ea1lpLkub pic.twitter.com/QLqsPjFK6P
— FOX 46 Charlotte (@FOX46News) July 4, 2019
FIREWORKS EXPLOSION: A fire broke out outside a fireworks shop in Fort Mill, South Carolina Thursday, putting on an impromptu July 4th show ???? pic.twitter.com/DtQNegz0nS
— CBS News (@CBSNews) July 4, 2019
— Billie Jean Shaw (@BillieJeanTV) July 4, 2019
— Michael Stechschulte (@Msteck101) July 4, 2019
According to local reports, the fire broke out around 5:45 am and “destroyed at least two containers of fireworks stored for sale on the Fourth of July.” (RELATED: Phantom Fireworks CEO Promises The Most Spectacular Display In DC History)
Fire authorities called the blaze a “once in a lifetime fire,” noting that firefighters had to battle the still-exploding rockets and other flying debris as they went in and attempted to contain the fire.
Emergency crews in Fort Mill, N.C., were dodging fireworks after at least two containers filled with fireworks caught fire.https://t.co/GW9tUISUy5
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) July 4, 2019
In a fortunate turn of events, the fire was limited to the storage containers. Because the containers of fireworks were being stored outside, the Davey Jones Fireworks building remained untouched by the blaze. No injuries have been reported.