‘He Was Just Crying’: Christmas Light Display Reportedly Electrocutes 9-Month-Old Dog To Death

Maverick and Victoria Sanchez. [Public/Screenshot/YouTube — User: Fox 13 Seattle]

Melanie Wilcox Contributor
Font Size:

A 9-month-old dog was reportedly electrocuted to death Friday at a Washington State Fair Christmas event in Puyallup.

The dog’s owner, Vyctoria Sanchez was with her dog Maverick, a service dog in training, when he felt an electric jolt near a light display at the Holiday Magic event, KOMO News reported. (RELATED: Brother Of Chicago Bears Star Malik Cohen Found Dead After Being Electrocuted, Police Say)

“He fell to the ground and started crying for me to help him and that’s when fair staff immediately called medics to come over there because he wasn’t moving,” Sanchez told KOMO News. “He was just crying. And I wanted to help him so bad.”

“It was a huge safety hazard and they didn’t even recognize it until my dog was dead,” Sanchez added.

Even though medics gave oxygen to Maverick, he never recovered.

A spokesperson with the state fairgrounds said that there were issues with the underground wires. She also said the source where the electrocution happened will be disconnected for the rest of the Holiday Magic event.

“Our hearts are with the owner who lost her dog at our Holiday Magic event Friday evening,” a spokesperson said, KOMO News reported. “After investigating the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident, we found the source underground. We have done a comprehensive review of the grounds and added additional enhanced safety measures, to ensure the safety of our guests and staff. Following the incident, we did everything onsite we could, to assist and comfort the dog owner. We brought in a Puyallup police chaplain to speak with her as well. Additionally, we have reached out to her since the incident. As always, safety is our top priority.”