The Daily Caller

The Daily Caller

Groups supporting ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ repeal or gay marriage will no longer be allowed to participate at CPAC

Al Cardenas, the new chairman of the American Conservative Union (ACU), announced on CSPAN Wednesday that his organization, which hosts the annual CPAC event, will now vet organizations before allowing them to participate.

The statement hints that gay conservative organization GOProud, a group whose participation infuriated social conservatives, and other groups determined insufficiently conservative by the ACU may not be welcome at next year’s 2012 CPAC.

Cardenas said that groups advocating for the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” or supporting gay marriage would not be welcome.

“If you are a group, and this has got nothing to do with your orientation,” said Cardenes, “of straight couples, and you advocate gay marriage, that’s not within the scope of what we believe the three legs of the stool of the movement are.”

The commonly held three legs of the conservative movement include fiscal conservatism, social conservatism, and national defense conservatism. The new vetting process may have farther-reaching implications if all organizations are tested for adherence to all three legs.

Cardenas stressed that gay individuals would remain welcome to attend CPAC.

“It has got to do with the principles you advocate” said Cardenas. “There are a number of gays in America who don’t advocate gays in the military or gay marriage. They’ll fit within the tent.”

Repeal of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy has been authorized by Congress and is expected to be implemented by the end of 2011. Same-sex marriage thus remains the major salient issue in Cardenas’ statement. GOProud does not support action to legalize same-sex marriage at the federal level, saying the issue is for states to decide.

GOProud Chairman Christopher Barron told TheDC, “We have been told by multiple sources on the ACU board that no decision has been made about GOProud and CPAC 2012.”

“If there is a vetting process that looks at the policy positions held by the participating organizations then GOProud will clearly be back as a sponsor next year,” said Barron.

Barron said that his organization’s legislative agenda “makes it clear that we are not just a kinda conservative organization we are a *very* conservative organization.”

WATCH: Al Cardenas discusses the future of conservatism on CSPAN:

Will Rahn contributed to this report.

  • Pingback: GoProud Is Not Worried About New CPAC Rules | RedState

  • ChuckNorton1

    As far as I know gay marriage is not advocated by GOProud. I do not know about DADT. I thought that DADT is a good rule for everyone not just gay people as it is foolish to define yourself primarily by your sexual identity. It is unwise to put your sexuality in other people face. It is a good idea to show restraint and some decorum in most everything.

    I attended CPAC and I chatted with the GOPRoud people and they conducted themselves with honor from what I saw.

  • Pingback: 2/18/2011 – Daily News « BreakTheMatrix.com

  • Swen

    Let the purges begin! Gays will no longer be allowed to participate because you can’t be gay and conservative. Birthers should be excluded because they’re an embarrassment and give the media ammunition to attack conservatives (as if the media would play nice except for them). Libertarians should shun objectivists because they’re isolationists and thus, not really conservative. Neo-cons should be excluded because they’re war mongers and thus, lovers of more powerful government. Ron Paul supporters are fanatics and superannuated ten-year-olds and isolationists. And the beat goes on.

    After all the people and groups who lack sufficient credibility and ideological purity are excluded CPAC will be able to hold their conventions in a room at the Super 8 and their irrelevance will be well-deserved. Because that Big Tent idea was just silly. Who cares if all these despised groups might vote conservative 80% of the time? It’s how they vote the other 20% that should be cause to exclude them.

  • erisian

    “The commonly held three legs of the conservative movement include fiscal conservatism, social conservatism, and national defense conservatism.”
    —–
    At the risk of being labeled (gasp) libertarian, it is not possible to be a fiscal conservative and either/or (or both) a social conservative or a defense conservative. As soon as you try to regulate or legislate social beliefs there is a growth in gubmint to account for the bureaucratic layer(s) required to enforce the new rules. National defense does not call for subsidizing the defense budgets of our allies by paying rent to house our military in their countries just for the honor of defending them – so they don’t have to spend on self defense.