The Daily Caller

The Daily Caller
Donald Trump listens at left as Republican presidential candidate former House Speaker Newt Gingrich talks to media after their meeting in New York, Monday, Dec. 5, 2011. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig) Donald Trump listens at left as Republican presidential candidate former House Speaker Newt Gingrich talks to media after their meeting in New York, Monday, Dec. 5, 2011. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)  

Romney to Trump: I’m not your apprentice!

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney told Fox News’ Neil Cavuto on Tuesday that he will not participate in an upcoming debate moderated by conspiracy theorist, businessman of questionable worth and “short-fingered vulgarian” Donald Trump.

“I’m not participating,” Romney said. “We have two debates in December I have agreed to participate in. The rest of the month is going to be spent campaigning, doing the political work you have to do to get the support of people in Iowa and New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, so we’ll be hitting the trail.”

Romney added that he personally called Trump earlier in the day to inform him of his decision.

“He understood my perspective and wished me well,” Romney said.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum are the only two candidates who have agreed to attend the debate, while former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman and Texas Rep. Ron Paul have both already declined.

“The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity,” a Paul spokesman said in a statement released by the campaign last week.

The debate is being co-sponsored by Ion Television, a little-known cable channel, and Newsmax, a news website that promotes sketchy herbal penis drugs.

Follow Will on Twitter