Because that’s exactly what’s happening. Associated Press:
Federal authorities have identified a southern California man once convicted of financial crimes as the key figure behind the anti-Muslim film that ignited mob violence against U.S. embassies across the Mideast, a U.S. law enforcement official said Thursday.
Attorney General Eric Holder said that Justice Department officials had opened a criminal investigation into the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other diplomats killed during an attack on the American mission in Benghazi. It was not immediately clear whether authorities were focusing on the California filmmaker as part of that probe.
A federal law enforcement official said Thursday that [name and age withheld because this is an outrage] was the man behind “Innocence of Muslims,” a film denigrating Islam and the Prophet Muhammad that sparked protests earlier in the week in Egypt and Libya and now in Yemen. U.S. authorities are investigating whether the deaths of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans in Libya came during a terrorist attack.
Did you get that? A bunch of people riot at our embassies in the Middle East and kill one of our ambassadors, claiming some YouTube video made them do it. So what do our brave and brilliant authorities do? They go after… the guy who made the YouTube video. And we don’t get to know the name of the “federal law enforcement official” who gave up one of his own citizens to appease a mob on the other side of the world.
Be warned, Americans: Islam is the one religion you’re not allowed to criticize. Islam is the one religion you’re not allowed to mock. Sure, you can put on a production of The Book of Mormon if you want, because nobody’s going to riot over it and nobody’s going to investigate you as some sort of accomplice. You can rip on Christians or Hindus or any other people of faith you please, all damn day. But not Muslims. Don’t you dare hurt their little feelings.
If I were a Muslim, I wouldn’t be offended by “Innocence of Muslims.” I’d be offended by the liberal paternalism that assumes somehow I’m not responsible for my own behavior. But I guess I could live with it, since it’d work out in my favor. “Free pass! Hey, I can do whatever I want, and it’ll always be the fault of whoever I claim made me all sad.”
So now we’ve outed this guy who dared to offend Muslims. Now he joins Salman Rushdie and Molly Norris and all the other people who’ve had to go into hiding over it. Unbelievable. Goodbye First Amendment, hello Fertile Crescent.
Must be Romney’s fault.
As usual, David Burge sums it up:
Violent foreign mob: “death to American who made movie!” US Justice Dept: “we’ll go find him for you.”
— David Burge (@iowahawkblog) September 14, 2012
P.S. If the guy who made “Innocence of Muslims” wanted Eric Holder to leave him alone, he should’ve bought guns from a Mexican drug gang.