Politics

Book compares Obama to Jesus Christ and Martin Luther King

Looking for something to read as Thanksgiving approaches? Or a unique take on what has made President Barack Obama such a successful politician? Or perhaps an explanation of Obama as an apostle and his “politics as religion?”

You could check out “The Gospel According to Apostle Barack” by Barbara Thompson (AuthorHouse 2012). The mouthful of the book’s subtitle is: “In Search of a More Perfect Political Union as Heaven Here on Earth.”

The book’s thesis is that Obama is not just the 43rd president of the United States. Much more than that, he’s an apostle akin to Martin Luther King, Jr. or even Jesus Christ.

According to Thompson, she began to have a series of unusual dreams as she formulated ways to help Obama win the 2012 presidential election:

I learned that Jesus walked the earth to create a more civilized society, Martin (Luther King) walked the earth to create a more justified society, but, Apostle Barack, the name he was called in my dreams, would walk the earth to create a more equalized society, for the middle class and working poor. Apostle Barack, the next young leader with a new cause, had been taken to the mountaintop and allowed to see over the other side.

The stated goal of Thompson’s book is to “unlock the answers” contained within Obama’s numerous speeches, so that “his followers” may have a guide “to creating and living in the reality of a middle class lifestyle that was so economically and ethically sound that it appeared to be ‘heaven here on earth.’”

The author, a professor, is a member of the physical education faculty at Florida A&M University.

The 220-page book provides an in-depth assessment of Obama’s political ideas, according to The Famuan, the student newspaper at Florida A&M.

The book also breaks down the policy accomplishments of Obama’s first term, including Obamacare, the economy and education. Thompson calls these various initiatives the “Good news” from the apostle, The Famuan reports.

Thompson’s son, Gibran, initially motivated her to write the book. He was badly hurt in an accident, and Thompson prayed for him to be healed.

Once Gibran did, in fact, recover, she dreamed that the spirit of God instructed her to take a journey with Obama. God’s spirit called Obama an apostle in the dream.

Thompson recently hosted a book signing at the Southside Arts Complex in Tallahassee, Florida. About 100 people reportedly showed up.

There are currently no reviews at Amazon.com. You can be the first.

Follow Eric on Twitter