DC Trawler

Columbia prof puts the “high” in “higher education”

From the College Fix, Columbia University’s student newspaper:

A science professor at Columbia University on Monday began a quantum mechanics lecture by stripping into his boxers and eating a banana while rap music played in the background.

Then it got weird…

Students’ reaction turned from laughter and amused surprised to concern, according to comments heard on the video.

“What the f**k is happening,” one female student asked. “Is this real life? … How does this relate to anything?”…

The Vimeo clip included the very first part of Hughes’ lecture, in which he told students that “in order to learn quantum mechanics, you have to strip to your raw, erase all the garbage from your brain and start over again. … Everything you do in your everyday life is totally opposite of what you are going to learn in quantum mechanics.”

Is lameness a particle or a wave? Let’s watch:

WARNING: PROFANITY, LIBERAL ARTS

FroSci Gone Wild from Bwog on Vimeo.

Your tiny little mind just got blown, maaaaaaaaan. Drop it like it’s hot, “it” meaning “your parents’ money into our pockets.”

So I guess the idea is that quantum mechanics is so crazy that you have to be prepared for anything. You have to leave all your preconceived notions behind. Well, that’s certainly an effective demonstration. As it turns out, I ran into a quantum physicist just the other day. He was outside CVS, asking people for spare change so he could get Kate Middleton to fix the engines on his spaceship. It feels good to help people in need.

Also, I totally would’ve taken this “professor’s” class. Looks like an easy A.