Minnesota Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann announced early Wednesday morning that she will not run for a fifth term in Congress.
Bachmann, who ran for president in 2012, made the announcement in a YouTube video.
“The law limits anyone from serving as president of the United States for more than eight years, and in my opinion, well, eight years is also long enough for an individual to serve as a representative for a specific Congressional district,” she said.
Bachmann insisted she would continue to work “100-hour weeks” throughout the remainder of her term representing the 6th Congressional District of Minnesota, and said a congressional ethics probe into her staff had not influenced her decision.
“This decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former presidential campaign or my former presidential staff,” Bachmann said.
The conservative stalwart also downplayed any chance of losing the seat of she had run for re-election.
“My decision was not in any way influenced by any concerns about my being re-elected to Congress,” she said. “If I ran, I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year.”
Bachmann did not give any specifics for her future plans in the video, but made sure not to rule out anything.
“There is no future option or opportunity, be it directly in the political arena or otherwise, that I won’t be giving serious consideration if it can help save and protect our great nation,” she added.