On Thursday, Fox News confirmed it has hired long-time Washington, D.C. journalist Howard Kurtz, whose employment at the cable news juggernaut will begin July 1.
Kurtz, who anchored CNN’s Sunday media show “Reliable Sources” for 15 years, will be taking over anchor duties of the FNC’s “Fox News Watch,” according to a release.
“I’m excited to be bringing my independent brand of media criticism to Fox News,” Kurtz said in a statement from FNC. “I want to thank CNN for giving me such a prime opportunity over the years and was tempted to continue, but the chance to create a revamped program and establish a strong online presence was too good to pass up. I hope to add a new dimension to Fox’s coverage and have some fun while diving into the passionate debates about the press and politics.”
Kurtz had spent 29 years at The Washington Post and left to take a position at the Daily Beast in 2010. That relationship ended earlier this year after Kurtz was involved in a controversy for having incorrectly accused NBA player Jason Collins, who announced publicly he was gay, of failing to explain he was once been engaged to a woman.
“Howie is the most accomplished media reporter in the country,” Fox News Executive Vice President Michael Clemente also said in the FNC statement. “He’s also a master of social media trends, information good and bad, and a veteran political reporter. Altogether, he will add even greater depth to a very accomplished team of reporters and anchors.”
CNN said in its own statement about Kurtz’s departure that a search for a new anchor for its “Reliable Sources” program is underway.