The Daily Caller

The Daily Caller

Catholics furious over Obama plan to close Vatican embassy site

An Obama State Department plan to move the embassy to the Holy See has Catholics and former ambassadors to the Vatican up in arms.

“In late 2014 or early 2015, the State Department will relocate the U.S. Embassy to the Holy See,” a Department of State spokesperson told The Daily Caller in an email late Tuesday.  “The Embassy will be moved to the U.S. government compound that currently houses U.S. Embassy Rome and the U.S. Mission to UN Agencies in Rome.  At that point, the U.S. government compound in Rome will house three distinct diplomatic missions with three independently accredited ambassadors working in three separate chanceries.  Our Embassy to the Holy See will continue to operate as an independent mission, and our diplomatic presence will remain one of the largest missions accredited to the Holy See.”

The State Department named security as its main reason for closing the embassy site on Aventine Hill, which has been the home of the U.S. mission to the Vatican since 1994.

But five former ambassadors to the Holy See — with which the United States established diplomatic relations in 1984 — are condemning the move. And the top U.S. organization for Catholic civil rights calls the State Department’s explanation for the move “risible.”

“It’s not just those who bomb churches and kill Catholics in the Middle East who are our antagonists, but it’s also those who restrict our religious freedoms and want to close down our embassy to the Holy See,” former Boston mayor and ambassador Ray Flynn told the National Catholic Reporter’s John Allen last week after the embassy plan came to light.

Flynn, along with former ambassadors James Nicholson, Francis Rooney, Mary Ann Glendon and Thomas Melady, harshly criticized the move.

Nicholson told Allen the move turns “this embassy into a stepchild of the embassy to Italy,” while Rooney said it put the American mission to the seat of worldwide Catholicism “on the road to nowhere.”

Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, said the move is “pure politics” by an administration with a track record of contempt for religious believers.

“You could make a principled argument that for security or economic reasons the embassy needs to be moved,” Donohue told The Daily Caller. “But that assumes the person making the argument has principles. This administration certainly wasn’t concerned about the safety of its embassy in Benghazi. And as for the economic argument, this is the most fiscally reckless administration in American history. It’s risible to think this administration is concerned about our safety.”

In its email to The Daily Caller, however, the State Department said the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack on a U.S. embassy in Libya — which left four Americans dead, among them Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens — motivated the move.