The Daily Caller

The Daily Caller
Typhoon Haiyan survivors take part in the first out of nine days of Christmas vigil masses at a damaged church in Palo, Leyte, central Philippines December 16, 2013. REUTERS/Erik De Castro Typhoon Haiyan survivors take part in the first out of nine days of Christmas vigil masses at a damaged church in Palo, Leyte, central Philippines December 16, 2013. REUTERS/Erik De Castro  

Former altar boy sues Catholic Church over pedophile priest

A man who says he was molested by three Catholic priests is suing the Archdiocese of Denver in federal court.

The suit alleges that church officials knew that one of the priests was a prolific pedophile, but covered up his activities by moving him to different posts where he continued to prey on children.

“This is the worst of the worst,” said Merit Bennett, the lawyer for former altar boy Eran McManemy of New Mexico, in an article in the Denver Post. “They allowed him to roam free — church to church, diocese to diocese, children to children. Not one of them picked up the phone and dialed 911, including Denver.”

McManemy alleges he was raped as a child by Father David Holley in Alamogordo, N.M., the diocese to which Holley had been transferred after working in a hospital ministry in Denver. Holly was sentenced in 1993 to 275 years for molesting eight boys in New Mexico. He died in prison in 2008, the Post reported.

McManemy’s suit alleges the church knew about the sexual abuse, but never reported it, opting instead to transfer Holley from place to place. The suit seeks punitive damages

“This was an interstate conspiracy that each one of these dioceses willingly joined to harbor a known pedophile,” Bennett told the Post. “Everybody knew who this guy was. He was one of the most inveterate predators of children in the United States.”

McManemy’s suit alleges that he was 11 when Holley raped him; it also says he was repeatedly sexually abused by two other priests during the previous three years. Holley is tied to abuse in Texas and Massachusetts dating back to the 1960s, as well as in New Mexico, according to other suits McManemy has filed against the church

A spokeswoman for the archdiocese told the Post that there were no records of wrongdoing while Holley was in Denver, where he was authorized to say Mass and hear confessions.

Follow Greg on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.