A black man dressed in a Santa costume was shot in Southeast Washington today as a WJLA’s film crew caught it all. Thankfully, they were pellets, and Santa will reportedly be okay. Still, not a great way to start Christmas Eve.
The purpose of the TV shoot was a toy giveaway in an area of town known for being a high crime area.
The TV crew was from WJLA, ABC7 here in Washington. According to WJLA, Santa was shot in the shoulder and was taken to a nearby hospital.
Watch here. If this proves anything, Santa really is black. Right?
On Twitter, the reaction was as expected: Everything from asinine to caring.
- I hope the person that did this spends xmas in jail.
- Oh, man, DC, we’re never going to live this down. Philly only threw snowballs at Santa. We shot him.
- Santa shot with a pellet gun?? Come on!
- We’ve failed as a society.
- Who the hell shoots Santa Claus?
- Washington Bullets changing name to Wizards didn’t stop this. Guy playing Santa in DC toy giveaway shot by pellet gun.
- Damn, leave the fat man alone.
- Poor santa.