The Daily Caller

The Daily Caller

Iranian grad student at Georgia Tech burns self with Molotov cocktail, media yawns

As you read the following, keep in mind that this happened three weeks ago. The only reason I know about it is because Glenn Reynolds linked to it this morning.

WXIA in Atlanta, Feb. 5:

The FBI says a Georgia Tech graduate student was burned by a Molotov cocktail at his apartment in the 200 block of 10th Street, not far from Piedmont Park.

Atlanta police spokeswoman Kim Jones said Saamer Akhshabi suffered third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body. Lighter fluid and a charred pillow and mattress were found inside the apartment, along with the Molotov cocktail and several plastic bottles filled with gasoline and kerosene.

The FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force, along with the Atlanta Police Department and Atlanta Fire-Rescue are working to investigate the circumstances behind the incident. Homeland Security was also notified of the explosion.

But according to the Atlanta Business Chronicle on Feb. 6: “Officials: No sign of terrorism in fire at Ga. Tech student’s apt.” Other than, y’know, the Iranian guy making Molotov cocktails.

Why was he making them? I have no idea, because this only made the local news in Atlanta and there was no follow-up. Nobody’s curious about why this guy was making firebombs in his apartment.

If only there were some way to connect him to the Tea Party. But that seems unlikely after you look at his Twitter account, @sam_pers:

saamer_akhshabi

Four tweets in all, three of them about how awesome Obamacare is. Nope, no way he’s a teabagger. Never mind!

#GetCovered… in third-degree burns.

According to Akhshabi’s personal page at the Georgia Tech site, he’s “interested in Internet evolution, evolutionary network modeling, and adaptive video streaming.” He forgot “making improvised incendiary devices.”

Why was he doing that? How did he burn himself so badly? Just goofing around?

Must be. He’s one of the good guys. Move along, wingnuts.