Following months of rumor-laden, highly anticipated speculation, “Star Wars: Episode VII” director J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm have finally announced the cast for first installment of the third trilogy in the sci-fi blockbuster franchise.
Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will all be reprising their roles from the original trilogy as Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa and Han Solo. Also among the returning cast members are Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker as Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2.
Newcomers to the Star Wars universe include Andy Serkis of “Lord of the Rings” fame and legendary Swedish actor Max von Sydow.
“We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again,” Abrams said in a Tuesday statement. “We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”
The full list of announced actors is as follows:
- Mark Hamill — “Luke Skywalker”
- Carrie Fisher — “Princess Leia”
- Harrison Ford — “Han Solo”
- Peter Mayhew — “Chewbacca”
- Anthony Daniels — “C-3PO”
- Kenny Baker — “R2-D2″
- Adam Driver — Girls
- John Boyega — Attack the Block
- Daisy Ridley — Toast of London
- Oscar Isaac — Inside Llewyn Davis
- Andy Serkis — The Lord of the Rings
- Domhnall Gleeson — About Time
- Max Von Sydow — The Exorcist
“Star Wars: Episode VII” is scheduled to debut in theaters Dec. 18, 2015.