As early as 2010, the Pentagon had confirmed that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl had deserted his post in 2009, and even before he deserted he had been the subject of “a major classified file” by U.S. intelligence.
A 2010 investigation by the Pentagon found there was solid evidence that Bergdahl hadn’t lagged behind on patrol, as first reported, and had indeed walked from his post, AP reports. The Pentagon decided at that point to draw down search-and-rescue operations.
The suspicion that Bergdahl was a deserter had long been a dirty secret among U.S. soldiers who resented the initial dangerous and invasive search operations. His unit reportedly did not go on any patrols the night he disappeared and Bergdahl has told comrades about a desire to walk to India before his capture. Additionally, fellow soldiers have blamed the ensuring search operations for strained community relations, wasted resources and, most damning of all, the deaths of U.S. troops. (PICTURE: ’Bowe Bergdahl Is Not A Hero’ Tops Google Search Suggestions)
And it seems Bergdahl was causing trouble before he left his post. Fox News reports “that many within the intelligence community harbor serious outstanding concerns not only that Bergdahl may have been a deserter but that he may have been an active collaborator with the enemy.”
The Department of Defense official Fox spoke with said that no congressional committee had requested the classified documents, but committee chairs would probably be allowed to see if they asked.
Berghdahl was exchanged for the top five Taliban commanders held in Guantanamo Bay.
Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham called for an investigation into the White House’s unilateral release of “the Taliban Dream Team” on Monday.