US

Homeless Man Allegedly Lived In Army Barracks As Soldier For 8 Months

A homeless man in North Carolina allegedly posed as an Army soldier and lived in a special forces barracks at Fort Bragg for eight months before being caught, according to a popular military Facebook page.

The incident was first reported on the Facebook page U.S. Army W.T.F! Moments in a detailed post. The Fayetteville Observer has confirmed the hidden civilian’s discovery, but otherwise military officials have yet to confirm or deny the report.

“For the last 8 months, a civilian with a fake [common access] card has been living in the [Special Forces Group] temp barracks claiming to be an [explosive ordinance disposal] tech,” the post says. “So embedded he was, that he had been dropping new privates off at in-processing.”

The fake soldier (whose name remains unknown) was apparently a popular man around the base. “[He] was instantly a friend to everyone,” was skilled at dominoes, and he “knew all the cool places in Fayetteville,” the post notes. It’s unclear whether other special forces members were aware the man was a fraud.

The man was caught driving under the influence Tuesday, and his story began to fall apart. Military police searched his room, reportedly discovering stolen army equipment (including rifle ammunition and a uniform), along with “a large cache of DVD porn.” The man even reportedly had a roster full of soldiers’ personal information.

Upon discovering the interloper, commanders at Fort Bragg were displeased, and allegedly responded by conducting an extremely thorough search of the special forces barracks, but only after giving soldiers a few hours to jettison any illegal materials of their own.

How do you feel about this story?

  Angry         Just Entertained...         How Did This Happen?       

Login with your social identity to vote

“Now one might think that a revelation like this would result in a massive draconian response right?” the Facebook post says. “Nope the Silent Professionals are going to silently do nothing until the following morning before conducting a 100% Health and Welfare inspection. The first one in 5 years, or so we’ve been told. But with an 8 hour delay, the rest of the illegals will have ample time to move their belongings out.”

Jack Murphy, a former special forces member and writer for the special forces-focused website SOFREP.com, had a light-hearted take on the matter.

“The story is pure awesome,” he told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “It is a case of almost valor, can’t even be mad at the dude. He was a good troop by all accounts.”

Follow Blake on Twitter

Send tips to [email protected].

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].