US

ISIS Takes Credit For Ohio State Attack

Youtube screen shot

Christian Datoc Senior White House Correspondent

Investigators are still trying to determine if Abdul Artan’s senseless attack at Ohio State University was an act of terrorism, but that isn’t stopping ISIS from taking credit for his actions.

According to the SITE Intelligence Group, the Amaq News Agency — ISIS’ propaganda wing — reported that Monday’s attack was carried out by a “soldier of the Islamic State,” and praised the attacker’s use of a car and knife.

(Amaq News Agency, via SITE Intelligence Group)

Artan, a Somali refugee, spent seven years in Pakistan before coming to America in 2014.

In a recent interview with OSU’s campus newspaper, Artan expressed that the media’s portrayal of Muslims led him to being “kind of scared” to pray in public. (RELATED: Here’s Everything We Know About Ohio State Attacker Abdul Artan)

“I don’t blame them,” he added. “It’s the media that put that picture in their heads so they’re just going to have it, and it’s going to make them feel uncomfortable.”

SITE Director Rita Katz clarified that while ISIS might be taking credit for Artan’s attack, that does not mean he was directly ordered to act by the terrorist group.

Katz claims that the “style of reporting” and “Amaq’s delay with this statement” shows ISIS spent time “confirming Artan’s motivations via news reports [sic].”

Follow Datoc on Twitter and Facebook