US

Hillary Clinton Finally Speaks On Harvey Weinstein

Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton released a long-awaited statement regarding Harvey Weinstein’s alleged decades of sexual abuse against women.

The short, three-sentence statement was sent out on Twitter by Nick Merrill, Clinton’s communications director.

“I was shocked and appalled by the revelations about Harvey Weinstein,” Clinton wrote. “The behavior described by  women coming forward cannot be tolerated. Their courage and the support of others is critical in helping to stop this kind of behavior.”

Conservatives, former Clinton staffers, and members of the media have been calling for Clinton to denounce Weinstein ever since The New York Times revealed last week that he had settled sexual harassment claims with eight women. On Tuesday, The New Yorker released accusations of harassment, assault, and rape from over a dozen other women.

Weinstein was a major donor to the Democratic National Committee and donated to the Clinton’s legal fund in the 1990s.

“I applaud the Democrats who are giving back that money,” RNC Chair Ronna Romney McDaniel said on Monday. “All of us should be speaking out against a sexual predator like Harvey Weinstein.”

Patti Solis Doyle, a former Clinton staffer, said on CNN Tuesday that she was “disappointed” that Clinton had not yet released a statement because she views her as someone who champions women.

“I don’t think it’s complicated for [Clinton] to come out and condemn somebody who gave her political donations,” CNN’s Political Director David Chalian said during a panel on the network. “Barack Obama also. This is just unconscionable to me.” (RELATED: CNN Panel: ‘Unconscionable’ That Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama Still Silent On Weinstein) 

On Tuesday morning, Clinton’s former running mate Tim Kaine said she would release a statement “when the time is right for her.”

 Follow Amber on Twitter