A 1-year-old boy died after being shot in the stomach at a New York City cookout amid increasing violence in the city, police said Monday.
The infant was shot alongside three other men when a trio of suspects reportedly jumped out of an SUV and opened fire on the outdoor gathering in a Brooklyn park Sunday, according to the New York Post. The baby died just after 2 a.m. Monday after doctors initially said he would survive, police sources told the Post.
The three men in their 20s and 30s are hospitalized, but are expected to survive. Two boys aged 12 and 15 were also shot in two separate incidents on the Sunday, according to the Post.
The New York City Police Department did not respond immediately to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
New York City has experienced an uptick in violence since the onset of nationwide riots following the death of George Floyd, who died after a police officer knelt on his neck for over eight minutes, video showed. Last month was the bloodiest June the city had seen in 24 years and shootings were up 205%, according to The Post.
Democratic New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has instituted a host of police reforms including a $1 billion funding cut on the NYPD and the disbandment of a prominent anti-crime unit. (RELATED: Here’s How Many People Were Shot In NYC Over July 4th Weekend)
NYPD borough commanders spoke out over 4th of July weekend after nearly 40 people in the city were gunned down.
Disgraceful the amount of people shot in Manhattan North in the past 24 hours! Where are the elected officials and violence interupter!! The community is suffering!!
— NYPD Patrol Borough Manhattan North (@NYPDPBMN) July 5, 2020
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.