University discloses students’ grades, disciplinary history when they apply for gun permits

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Robby Soave Reporter

The University of Iowa may have broken federal guidelines by sharing with the local sheriff’s department private information about students who apply for campus gun permits.

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, public universities are required to keep secret personal information on students, such as their grades and addresses. But Iowa has been sending personal information regarding students who apply for campus gun permits to the sheriff’s office.

That information includes whether students received bad grades, or were exhibiting signs of depression or anger.

The policy dates back to a campus shooting in 1991, when a mentally disturbed graduate student killed himself and five others.

But the policy probably violates FERPA, according to the Des Moines Register.

“This is incredibly alarming,” said Justin Dedecker, a graduate student who sought a gun permit in 2011, in  statement. “How does my performance in class become an indicator of my mental stability?”

Frank LoMonte, executive director of the Student Press Law Center, said Iowa’s actions are definitely inappropriate.

“This type of situation is precisely what the sponsors had in mind when they enacted FERPA,” he said in a statement. “It was to restrict the sharing of student education and disciplinary information with law enforcement.”

The university has decided to re-examine the policy, given the accusations.

Follow Robby on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.