The Daily Caller

The Daily Caller
              FILE - In this June 26, 2008 file photo, a chrome plated revolver rests on top of a glass display case at John Jovino Co. in New York. A New York county clerk on Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013 justified his refusal to release the names and addresses of handgun permit holders to a newspaper, saying it would give stalkers and thieves a convenient roadmap to target potential victims — and determine whether they have a gun. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)

University discloses students’ grades, disciplinary history when they apply for gun permits

The University of Iowa may have broken federal guidelines by sharing with the local sheriff’s department private information about students who apply for campus gun permits.

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, public universities are required to keep secret personal information on students, such as their grades and addresses. But Iowa has been sending personal information regarding students who apply for campus gun permits to the sheriff’s office.

That information includes whether students received bad grades, or were exhibiting signs of depression or anger.

The policy dates back to a campus shooting in 1991, when a mentally disturbed graduate student killed himself and five others.

But the policy probably violates FERPA, according to the Des Moines Register.

“This is incredibly alarming,” said Justin Dedecker, a graduate student who sought a gun permit in 2011, in  statement. “How does my performance in class become an indicator of my mental stability?”

Frank LoMonte, executive director of the Student Press Law Center, said Iowa’s actions are definitely inappropriate.

“This type of situation is precisely what the sponsors had in mind when they enacted FERPA,” he said in a statement. “It was to restrict the sharing of student education and disciplinary information with law enforcement.”

The university has decided to re-examine the policy, given the accusations.

Follow Robby on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.