Imagine attending “Bleeding Heart Liberal Elementary” or “Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary.” While that seems absurd, those are two of the choices the public nominated to replace “Robert E. Lee Elementary” when the Austin, Texas, school decided it needed to remove the name of the Confederate General from its façade.
The name receiving the most nominations is “Donald J. Trump Elementary,” with 45. The second most nominations show many are in favor of keeping the school’s current name.
KXAN reports the top 10 nominated names are:
- Donald J. Trump Elementary: 45 nominations
- Robert E. Lee Elementary: 34 nominations
- Russell Lee Elementary: 32 nominations
- Harper Lee Elementary: 30 nominations
- Elisabet Ney Elementary: 15 nominations
- Lee Elementary: 13 nominations
- Adolf Hitler School for Friendship and Tolerance: 8 nominations
- Waller Creek Elementary: 8 nominations
- Frances J. Nesmith Elementary School: 7 nominations
- Guy Bizzell Elementary: 6 nominations
Other suggestions receiving nominations include:
Adam Lanza’s School of Fun, Bee Movie, Bleeding Heart Liberal Elementary, Boaty McBoatface Elementary School, Forgetting the Past Dooms You to Repeat It Elementary, Garfunkel, Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary School, John Cena Elementary and Schooly McSchoolerson.
The public’s nominations are non-binding suggestions, and the school board will make the final determination.